5:03 PM

Back from the Boat

"Learn something new! This is where everything is going to go. On the computer in over a year." Recently overheard from a middle-aged woman in a bookstore predicting the future of the internet...

Maybe someone missed the boat on that one? Speaking of missing the boat, the Bruise Cruise is done and over! Clearly I made it back safe, and am just now attempting to put words to the experience. I want to go back!

How did I got on the boat in the first place? January 26th (my birthday) I got a call from SPIN Magazine saying I had WON their grandprize!! Needless to say, it was a great birthday present.

So here's a little bit of music to listen to while watching the slideshow of Polaroids I took while onboard the cruise. Personally I believe every band should have an obligatory song containing lyrics of "la la la" in some repetitious manner as to increase the audience's drunkest member's ability to participate in singing along.Thee Oh Sees fulfilled this need for me and so much more. Listen to my unofficial Bruise Cruise anthem, a song that's so catchy and danceable. Thee Oh-Sees - I Was Denied by hells-belles

Then press the play button below to view the slideshow. (Make sure to maximize the show in the bottom right hand corner.)


These actual Polaroids were taken with an SX-70 on The Impossible Project's Push! film. It needs a ton of light for the images to be clear, and responds really well to being heated to "push" the intensity of the colors. I found the tiles by the pool were great for this as they retained a lot of heat.

Here are some of my favorite images from the cruise. (Obviously not Polaroids.) I'll do my best to narrate:

creepy
Why were the creepy animals always put on my bed?

img_0737
I was hoping to photograph people here...

IMG_0730ew
and here, too. Pina coladas got in the way. It's a good time to admit that I know my limits with alcohol. For this reason, I don't drink at all under normal working circumstances. However, a free trip to the Bahamas is not a normal circumstance. I'm allowed to have fun, too. ;-) Although, I did learn my lesson. Some people get drunk and regret things they've done, I got drunk and regret not taking specific pictures.

IMG_0342ew
This was my travel companion, Aly. She knows how to dress well and offers me direction in that area. On the last day I packed everything and then put on some comfy clothes. She saw me and said, "Are you wearing your yoga clothes? **Sigh** I guess it's okay, it's the last day."


Here are a couple more of Aly wearing some of her vintage finest:

IMG_0316ew
img_0173
IMG_0824ew
"I'm on a boat!"

LIVE MUSIC/BAND MEMBERS:
IMG_0635ew
Tyler of Surfer Blood

IMG_0452ew
The Black Lips

IMG_0618ew
Ty Segall

img_0207ew
Jacuzzi Boys

IMG_0323ew
Strange Boys

IMG_0699ew
Turbo Fruits

IMG_0765-2ew
Everyone loves the Vivian girls

img_0757
Bass guitar overboard

img_0922
img_0925
Every lounge act drinks like a fish, right?


IMG_0266ew
IMG_0217ew


And this happened:

img_0883
Get Ready...

img_0889
Get SET!

img_0887
Elevator Par-tay in full effect!!!

IMG_0847ew
Captain Booze Cruise.

img_0919
A lively bunch :)

img_0700
CONGRATS to these two! They got engaged on the cruise! Watch it here.


IMG_0640ew
SERIOUSLY documenting the action!

IMG_0863ew
Lido deck tango with Surfer Blood's Marcos

img_0542
Day 3: Organizer Michelle Cable, still working hard!

IMG_0181ew
IMG_1038etw
THE END! Or is it? Rumor has there's a Bruise Cruise Reunion slated for New York this Summer...anyone interested??

VIEW the rest of my Bruise Cruise images HERE

0 comments:

Labels

acceptance actors album art Amrit Desai Amrit yoga Amrit Yoga Institute Andrea Pepper Andy Goldsworthy Andy Warhol art article artist asana attention awake awareness Bahamas bands Barry Gottlieb beauty bee behind the scenes black and white blessed Blond Fuzz Bob Newhart breakfast breath Broward camera cd cd design Children's Photographer City Limits City Link community competition computer connection contest contestant Corporate Photography Courtney Hambright creative creativity dance Daniel Millay decisions Delray Beach digital discovery documentary eggs ego engagement photos entrepreneur Ernst Haas event exhibit experience fame family portrait fate feature film fine art fire Zuave Firestone Live Venue fisherman Florida FoodShelterArt FoodShelterArt.com found objects free-writing freedom freelance freewrite Ft Lauderdale Gator Cases graphic design greeting cards Gurudev Guy Harvey habit handwriting happy Harmony Martial Arts honeymoon humor husband Ian Grandjean Ian Witlen illusion inspiration inspired Invisible Music Jameses John Ralston journaling Julia Cameron Juno Beach Lake Worth Lake Worth Photo Project Lake Worth-It 2010 letting go life Life Magazine light live music local lotus maternity meditation Miami mind minutes modern Monica Kustra Monica McGIvern Monica's quote moodvane.com movie music musicians natural nature New TImes Magazine now Ocala ocean of Montreal Once organic Orlando pain Palm Beach Palm Beach County Photographer Pema Chodron perception perfect photo photography photography art photos photoshoot pier pleasure polaroid pony pose practice pregnancy pregnant press quote quotes reaction reality reality show sculpture self-expression shadows shapeshifting sharer sleep South Florida stageshow stream of consciousness struggle teacher TGIT The Artists Way today Tonglen training transformation truth video videography water West Palm Beach wheel window Worldwide Moment www.FoodShelterArt.com yoga yoga class yoga parties Yogi Amrit Desai Yogi E