8:01 PM

A Survivor's Story & the Gratitude Beyond it

 Fortunately, one of those lives was my husband's.

In the past four weeks I've told this story countless times. Maybe it was partially for the need to hear it myself. I'm just now able to compose the words here.

On March 25th, 2012, my husband was struck then dragged by a hit and run vehicle while riding his bicycle.

I received the news in a round-about way.

That morning, David woke me up, gave me a kiss, then told me he was going on his normal Sunday morning bike ride. I weighed the idea of going along with him but quickly decided sleep seemed like a better idea.

When I woke up about an hour and a half later, I unplugged my cell phone from it's charging station and noticed I had a missed call from David. Or so I thought.

When I listened to the message, I could hear some muffled voices talking, and then blips of a siren in the background. My first reaction was that I was listening to the scene of an accident but still didn't know who had called me. Maybe it was my husband saying he had come upon an accident and was going to be late for brunch? As I struggled to hear what the people were saying, I made out small phrases.

"I started with respirations" mumble, mumble, "broken bones," mumble.

 Then the clarifying statement, a very audible man's voice directed, "David, don't try to move!"

I abruptly hung up the phone knowing that I needed to figure out which hospital he'd been taken to. I could feel the adrenaline kicking in as I simultaneously got ready while calling my Mother-in-Law who lives nearby.

My hands were shaking and when she answered we decided we'd each try calling emergency rooms, and get back to one another. I tried Jupiter to no avail and when she called me back to say that he was at St Mary's Trauma Center.

She asked if I wanted her to pick me up so we could go together. "Yes!"

I knew I had about 20 minutes before she arrived. I looked at myself in the mirror and reactively put on eyeshadow. Then I felt guilty for trying to make myself look presentable. How are people in this situation supposed to look, I wondered. Clearly the answer was, "it doesn't matter," but putting on the eyeshadow was a part of my normal routine and for that moment it was an attempt to remain distracted from the possible severity of the accident. 

I threw a bag together and went outside and sat on the curb.

Whether it was shock, adrenaline, or my yogic training, I don't know, but I remember time slowing and my attention focused on each breath.

The wind rustled the fronds of the South Florida palm trees, and the sky was sublimely blue.  Despite the chaos and intensity I could feel on the surface, I continued to meditate until my Mother-in-Law arrived.

It was a very quiet ride to the hospital. We had no information other than that he was there.

When we arrived, we were met by an officer from the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office. He told us David had been struck, dragged, and only then told us that he was OK. In my opinion, not the best order of relaying a story to a loved one's mother and wife.   

Evidence Bag//Given to me by the Deputy who investigated the scene.

Evidence//One shoe. Two bike gloves. Cracked helmet with detached visor. Bicycle seat.

Despite a severe concussion with a bruise on his left frontal lobe as well as several spots of sheering (bleeding) in the brain, David was OK.


In addition, his body was covered with road rash from hitting the concrete, and he remarkably only fractured his fibula in his right leg.

As we have begun the recovery process, these last four weeks have seemed like ages. David is progressing almost daily. He does not remember the accident, and probably never will. It's not uncommon with traumatic brain injuries as this is possibly the way for the brain to protect the body.


The Bike//Front Wheel

Back Wheel

Handle Bars

Full View

We are overwhelmingly grateful to those who've taken the time to send love, visit, call, message, text, and put us in their prayers. The truth is, I am personally more comfortable of being on the giving end of this kind of support.

This is a lesson David and I are both learning together, how to accept the generosity of so many of the wonderful friends and family in our lives.

We are filled with gratitude which we are utilizing to help move us forward, step-by-step.

Thank you, all!

Final Note: Despite everything you do to live a healthy life, you never know what life has in store for you. Please take this story as a reminder to do your best, accept the rest, and love until your heart redefines the depth of love. And remember, helmets can save lives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing - the pain we witness our loved ones suffer is the hardest to tolerate -

every day is a little better - much love to you and your hubby -

teajay

Pook said...

Thanks for sharing your story in such an eloquent way.

We are so grateful that David not only survived this horrible accident, but has made wonderful progress with each passing day. Know that you are both in our thoughts and prayers today and always.

Love to both of you!
Pook and Uncle Phil

Sally Wilks said...

Monica... that was such a beautifully written account about David's unfortunate accident.Thankfully,he is recuperating nicely.There are so many people in his corner helping him to do that. I plan to send this on to my own grandson who is a bicycle enthusiast and who also would never ride without a helmut. Perhaps we older folk are just lucky that we rode our bikes years ago before anybody knew about helmuts. Somebody must have been watching. love, Sally

Tracy said...

While I have heard the story in person, reading this on my return flight to WPB caused the tears to flow. You and David are such precious folks and we approeciate you both so much. It is hard to understand why these terrible things happen to such good people but maybe it was so you could tell this story to others to remind them that life is but a fleeting moment.and that we need to live each day with peace in our hearts recognizing that it is a gift of God to live another day. Makes one question their priorities and purpose in life. Thank you for sharing this Monica. Davis looked so great when we saw him and Carol and I continue to Pray for his full recovery.

Labels

acceptance actors album art Amrit Desai Amrit yoga Amrit Yoga Institute Andrea Pepper Andy Goldsworthy Andy Warhol art article artist asana attention awake awareness Bahamas bands Barry Gottlieb beauty bee behind the scenes black and white blessed Blond Fuzz Bob Newhart breakfast breath Broward camera cd cd design Children's Photographer City Limits City Link community competition computer connection contest contestant Corporate Photography Courtney Hambright creative creativity dance Daniel Millay decisions Delray Beach digital discovery documentary eggs ego engagement photos entrepreneur Ernst Haas event exhibit experience fame family portrait fate feature film fine art fire Zuave Firestone Live Venue fisherman Florida FoodShelterArt FoodShelterArt.com found objects free-writing freedom freelance freewrite Ft Lauderdale Gator Cases graphic design greeting cards Gurudev Guy Harvey habit handwriting happy Harmony Martial Arts honeymoon humor husband Ian Grandjean Ian Witlen illusion inspiration inspired Invisible Music Jameses John Ralston journaling Julia Cameron Juno Beach Lake Worth Lake Worth Photo Project Lake Worth-It 2010 letting go life Life Magazine light live music local lotus maternity meditation Miami mind minutes modern Monica Kustra Monica McGIvern Monica's quote moodvane.com movie music musicians natural nature New TImes Magazine now Ocala ocean of Montreal Once organic Orlando pain Palm Beach Palm Beach County Photographer Pema Chodron perception perfect photo photography photography art photos photoshoot pier pleasure polaroid pony pose practice pregnancy pregnant press quote quotes reaction reality reality show sculpture self-expression shadows shapeshifting sharer sleep South Florida stageshow stream of consciousness struggle teacher TGIT The Artists Way today Tonglen training transformation truth video videography water West Palm Beach wheel window Worldwide Moment www.FoodShelterArt.com yoga yoga class yoga parties Yogi Amrit Desai Yogi E